Free Blog CounterEnglish German Translation

Monday, July 14, 2008

Improving the blog, improving myself

While the website does not kick off, it is important to make this blog a better introduction to my personal project: launch a freelancing career as a writer and a journalist. So if you are reading these lines, you may have noticed that The House of Words’ blog has a new face, a new label organization and offers now the possibility to subscribe to a RSS feed.

These improvements come also with a change in my perspective towards this challenge, due to a couple of months investigating full-time about what it is like to be a freelance writer on the Internet. Launching yourself solo on a business is always difficult, especially if you are doing it in a market full of options for potential clients. I ask myself all the time: what do I have that makes me different from the thousands of writers and journalists who are jumping into the Internet Freelancing World?

At the risk of sounding as if I am selling myself, I suppose that the fact that you are reading these lines already answers, in a way, why my voice is somehow being heard.
I want more people to bump into this blog, and accompany my progress into this world; I want clients and editors to become interested in my writing skills; I want to work, not just for the money, but especially for the gratification it is to do my craft well, and feel great about it.

Last week, I read a great book called Journalism 2.0, by Mark Briggs. I would like to write a post about it later on, but before that, I advise you to go and read it. It really puts the craft of journalism into perspective, and in terms of the new media revolution, it is a manual on how to work with the Internet as a resourceful tool. It is a mind-opening book, and I have really learned a lot from reading it.

Therefore, as a conclusion to this post, by improving this blog, I also want to improve myself as a professional and as a writer. If you are a regular visitor, or if you have just found this blog, please feel free to post comments and help The House of Words grow in quality. Everybody’s feedback is welcome and needed, so I can become better and better.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

we just get better!! :D
we are working on it -_-

View blog top tags summerwine's Profile Page Add to Technorati Favorites