Free Blog CounterEnglish German Translation

Tuesday, July 15, 2008

The journalist/cleaning lady

Today I had a job interview. Yeah, a job interview for one of those safe, 9-to-7, receptionist jobs for a pepper and spices producer in the whereabouts of Murcia. I’m usually very happy when I go to a job interview, and I do my best to please the person on the other side of the table. That explains why, in all my work life, I’ve only lost one job.

Well, after this morning, make it two…

This was the first time in my life I went to the interview feeling defeated before I even started. Honestly, I didn’t want that job. I mean, I want to find a nice part-time job, so that I can keep on freelancing. I’m not even fancy about said part-time job: if I find myself cleaning toilets for 4 hours a day, I can live with that… well, not toilets, but maybe stairs… the journalist cleaning lady… yeah…

Anyway, it was one of those full-time, receptionist jobs, in which you think you’re going to be answering phones all day, but you end up doing accountancy and God knows what else, for the sake of “boredom”. In my world, that means you are paid the wage of half a person, to do the work of three. In another lifetime – six months ago – I would have taken the job in a heartbeat, especially because freelancing is not extremely compensating now, in terms of cash.

I was unable to lie: I had to say my ex-future-boss I could not do it. In a time when jobs offers are slim and few, I did everything I could to get out of there jobless. Then, I had to explain the temp agency lady that I wanted to go on the interview to check it out, even knowing in my heart that job was not for me.

My welfare ends in September, and I hope that by then something has come up: either some regular freelancing projects, or a part-time job doing whatever. Better yet, both.
Nevertheless, I’m stupidly proud of myself. It was the first time in my life I felt proud to be a rotten, poor and naked writer.

So if you or anybody else (I included) thought that The House of Words and its sole tenant were just an experience, here’s the absolute proof: marianexpress dumped a steady job in favor of the unstable writing life.

Editors and clients out there, please hire me soon! ;-O

No comments:

View blog top tags summerwine's Profile Page Add to Technorati Favorites