Free Blog CounterEnglish German Translation

Thursday, June 26, 2008

Focus, focus, focus!

Hi!

I've recently handed in an article about Bossa Nova to d/visible ezine. I'm also in talks with the editor-in-chief for another article about music. 
Meanwhile, I've been juggling with more ideas about articles to submit to several other publications and websites, while I'm waiting for the answers to the questionnaire (see How European Are You?).

At the same time, I've also joined the ranks of Constant Content, as an opportunity to showcase my work and sell it through this website. It's possible that I might start directing 80% of my writings towards CC, as it seems a place with potential for me to sell my works. Nevertheless, I keep on doing what I've been doing since I started this process: bid on Elance and pitch articles to magazines I find online that sound interesting.

Apart from the obvious difficulties associated with freelancing, that are more than covered around in different articles throughout the World Wide Web, I'm finding it extremely hard to focus sometimes; hence, the title for this post.
Working from home is hard. It may be even harder sometimes than to work in an office, or generally speaking, outside your house. For starters, managing your own schedule and dealing with the autonomy of being your own boss is a challenge. I find myself oscillating between laxism and authoritarism: on the one hand, I get up early in the morning and plant myself in front of the computer and do research, write, and look for business opportunities. On the other, I freak out because I have to walk the dogs, do the laundry and the dishes, or shop for groceries. Oh, and the red-tape stuff you always tend to leave to the last day and then, bam! in your face it blows!
Some days, I just let it slide a bit and oversleep. And, of course, time has no complacency for late-sleepers: you still have a million stuff to do, but less hours to do it.

Something else I tend to find complicated, and that's part of the job I guess, is managing a bunch of ideas all at the same time.
Writing is like exercising a muscle, in my opinion: the more you write, the more ideas you have, and the more you want to write. Speaking for myself, a month ago I had no idea what I should write about. Now, I have an idea every five minutes. I write everything down in a notebook, as in raw notes about stuff, and I use those notes as a reference for articles. If one day, for some reason, the well seems to dry out, I can always come back and pick something off the notebook.
But still, I can't seem to actually focus on one specific theme.

So, instead of going insane with this thought, I've decided to dedicate my time to a topic at a time, and move on to the next one when I have a satisfactory article written. Otherwise, I don't think I can be productive: sure, my mind is working full-time, but not my writing.
I mean, come on! I'm a good researcher, and I'm confident in my writing capabilities. All I need to do now is to consubstanciate that into paper!

By the way: this weekend, there is a strong possibility that this blog will change. I think we are ready to move into our new address www.thehouseofwords.com. I'm going to have a new website!!!!!!

No comments:

View blog top tags summerwine's Profile Page Add to Technorati Favorites