Free Blog CounterEnglish German Translation

Tuesday, June 3, 2008

Just another freelancer - Introduction

Starting is always the hardest part, eh?

Well then, hello potential clients. My name is Mariana, and I'm a Portuguese journalist.
I guess that, throughout all my professional life, I've been a freelancer. Since I started university, I began pitching ideas and articles to newspapers and magazines in Portugal, and did all my work for free. The constant working and my academic studies molded my writing, and I think I became a good professional, with a plus: I'm fluent in Spanish, English and French.
Nevertheless, the media world in Portugal is quite chaotic, and it's very hard to get a full-time job as a journalist in a newspaper or magazine. Let's not even mention the online press, an area in which I really like working, but it is as fluctuating as the Web itself...

So, I moved to the south of Spain nearly two years ago, looking for new opportunities and perspectives. As with all beginnings, I have been working in jobs that have nothing to do with journalism or writing, because I need to settle in before I can make an actual move in my area.
But I really never stopped writing; I've always had a blog, and I got a few jobs as a freelancer, writing in Spanish and English.

Recently, I began thinking that it was time to move on to the next phase, and start trying harder to become a freelancer. It's OK if you happen to land on a project and do it; but if you're not seriously into it, then you really can't call yourself a freelancer, and advertise yourself as such, right?

Therefore, it's time to take the next step. I'm openly looking for clients who may be interested in my expertises, and I'll be fighting hard in the freelance jungle to get my message across.

How can I write?

  • In several languages: English, French, Spanish and Portuguese
  • In different formats: articles, editorials, reportages, fiction, non-fiction, press releases, reports, academic, translations, shopping lists...
I'm a writer with quality and experience. I'm available to learn from clients and, most importantly, able to provide them with they need.

What can I write about?

  • Music
  • Society
  • Cultural topics
  • Religion
  • Spanish lifestyle
  • Literature
  • International and current affairs
  • Any topic: open to suggestions
I'll be using this blog to post writing samples and information about current projects and ideas.

I'll keep you posted, if you keep me posted too!



No comments:

View blog top tags summerwine's Profile Page Add to Technorati Favorites